Wednesday 22 September 2010

Common sense is an uncommon commodity

Maybe I'm a bit behind the times, but I saw my first Oyster card* this week (that shows you how rarely I travel on public transport!).

The one I saw didn't look anything like the one in the picture below (it was white). What's more, it didn't look anything like the Oyster card reader.

How is a person supposed to know that they should wave the blue (or white) card over the yellow circle with the swirl? 

It's supposed to be quick and easy to use, but it seems to me that a bit of consistency and basic information design - making the things match each other for a start - would make it quicker and easier for everyone.

* Oyster card is a prepaid 'quick ticket' for regular users of public transport in London.

1 comment:

Jackie Barrie, Writing Without Waffle said...

Just as I thought. I travelled on public transport again this week, and an old lady at the ticket barrier asked: "What should I do with my Oyster card?"