Monday 29 June 2009

Celebrity culture

Have you seen Peter Jones in the ad for moneysupermarket.com?

Famous for his millions, he says: "I'm in it; shouldn't you be?"

I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced.

Meanwhile, I'm sure it's Paul Merton's voice in the Direct Line voiceover.

Famous for his humour, he's reading a very dull script.

External endorsements are a powerful sales tool, because what someone else says about you is more convincing than anything you can say yourself.

But if you're going to do it, purleease be sensible about it! Match the right person with the right product, and let them speak in a way that is consistent with their own brand as well as with yours.

1 comment:

Rod Murdison said...

Yes I'm not convinced by the Moneysupermarket ad either. And there's the one with voice-overs by Paul Merton and Stephen Fry saying 'we don't appear on price comparison websites' as if that's a good thing whereas trusted, 'we don't take commission' comparison websites DO exist so it makes me think they've something to hide!