Tuesday 3 February 2009

Great minds think alike

I went up to London last week, and spotted a poster on the tube that advertised The Times newspaper, by saying:

If GH stands for P as in Hiccough
If OUGH stands for O as in Dough
If PHTH stands for T as in Phthisis
If EIGH stands for A as in Neighbour
If TTE stands for T as in Gazette
If EAU stands for O as in Plateau
Then POTATO could be spelled GHOUGHPHTHEIGHTTEEAU


It's exactly the same example I used in the December issue of my Writing Without Waffle newsletter (you can sign up here.

Where did I get it? I think someone forwarded it to me via email.

Today's top tip is to keep a 'crib file' of jokes, stories and links that might be useful for your own marketing. Mine is in a folder on my Mac. When I'm ready to write each month's newsletter, I simply dip into it for whatever is most interesting and relevant (always crediting the original source, where possible, of course).

No comments: