Saturday 3 May 2008

"Don't stop me now"

As a fan of chocolate and chocolate advertising, this follow-up to the wonderful drumming gorilla doesn't work for me. On any level.

Don't Stop Me Now

I repeatedly watched the first one with enjoyment (surely that's the feeling Cadbury's want their product to inspire). I watched the second with confusion and disappointment.

At a time when Heathrow's T5 is in the news for all the wrong reasons, we see airport trucks having a race and baggage being dumped all over the runway. Not sure if they are real trucks or toy ones, being driven by humans or by themselves. Compared with the first ad, it's complicated and unsatisfactory.

Part of the magic of the original was the anticipation of the Phil Collins' drumbeats. If Cadbury wanted to use a Queen track, then why not Bohemian Rhapsody, as it builds up to the head-banging sequence?

With meerkats!

Now that I'd like to see.

No comments: