Tuesday 19 June 2007

I love the Nationwide, but...

I really like the fact that the Nationwide is a building society, not a bank. I like them leading the campaign for free ATMs (in the UK and abroad). And I like their 'mutual' status.

But I don't like them taking longer to clear cheques than banks do. I don't like them sponsoring football. And I don't like their advertising – devoted to the 'nasty bank manager we are not'. Because when you see that 'nasty bank manager' you think of the Nationwide. Which is probably not the impression they were after!

Mind you, their end slogan is better now. Instead of just 'Proud to be Different' it also explains 'because we have no share-holders, only our members'. It may not be catchy but it is important. Because I bet most people don't understand the difference.

No comments: